Thursday, June 10, 2010

Class is Over

I just got finished with my class in Peru. I have about 25 days left in South America before I fly to Spain. Right now I'm waiting in Cusco. The world cup game between England and the States is on Saturday. There is going to be a little World Cup party at the South American Explorers Club. I'm trying to go to Machu Picchu and Choqoquiroe. Apart from that I want to go to Iquitos, which is a 5-7 day boat ride. I'm going to visit my friend Nico in Quito, Ecuador. I'm sure this trip is going to go by quickly as the rest of my trip has. It has been a great year. I went to Lake Titikaka, the Colca Canyon/Arequipa, Pisco and Ica, Puerto Maldonado, Quillabamba, the Sacred Valley, and Espiritu Pampa. I've learned a lot about Peruvian commerce, politics, and culture. My independent project was a food system and sustainable development survey. I received 8 credits for this project. I lost 1 credit in Cultural Studies because I turned in a few papers late, but for me the experience of working and studying in Peru has been the important thing. My Spanish has greatly improved and I plan on continuing bettering my Spanish back in the states. Fortunately I have a few Spanish speaking friends who I am likely to talk to. This year has inspired me to do more volunteer work for social justice to help those who are in need. I realized that this is an important part of following Jesus. Having compassion on people. A few things I really miss from the States are; Sushi, Mexican food, my guitar, my family and friends (I bought all my siblings something made from Alpaca wool) , Thai food, bacon, and flushing toilet paper down the toilet (we have to throw it in a bin). Puerto Maldonado was one of my favorite experiences. I swung a machete around a lot for several days, which was really tiring, but it made dinner feel all the more satisfying. I also chewed coca leaves with an old Quechua dude, who was a hard worker and knew a lot about commerce and farming in Peru. The Urcos islands in Lake Titikaka are awesome I would highly recommend a trip on Lake Titikaka, but don't even bother to actually hang out in Puno. The jungle is always cool. There are a lot of sweet trecks in the Cusco region. I definately want to go back. I would like to be able to travel around other parts of South America as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment