Friday, April 23, 2010

Peru LD

I realize that I said I was going to post every week. I may or may not post every week, but It´s gonna take some time to put pictures and journal entries up. I´m in Pisaq right now where the internet is awful. I´ll be in Cusco in two days where I´ll be able to post pictures and more entries. I will also be staying with a host family for two weeks and continuing Spanish classes. My Spanish classes started up this last monday and somehow I got put in a really difficult class, they say they can´t change the class until next week. Luckily I´m able to keep up, but I´m learning subjunctive tenses (for abstract concepts) before I fully know all of the indicative preterit tenses (for talking about the past), but I´m getting buy, learning more Spanish every day. The other day I hung out with an amigo, Jermaine, I met last time I was in Cusco, he´s a really chill artist, who has a studio in Pisaq, he paints and plays instruments. I got to pray with him and read the bible in Spanish which was interesting. Peru is the most Catholic country in South America, the most Catholic continent so it´s really interesting. There are all these huge churches and cathedrals everywhere. On Sunday there is a service in Quechua, the language of the indigenous descendants of the Incans, which I´m thinking about attending. I won´t understand a word, but it will be cool to see. The farther away from the cities and the deeper into the Andies you go, the more Quechua you will hear. In Pisaq there is a fair amount of Quechua spoken still, it is very difficult to pronounce because of the variations of Q and K that require gutteral choking sounds and sometimes clicks. I have picked up a few simple Quechua phrases from street vendors and friends. People are more than happy to teach Quechua words, and get very excited when you use them. In the last two weeks I have visited many towns including; Urubamba, Chinchero, Pisaq, and Ollantytambo. We saw many Incan ruins, which were amazing. I´m running out of time on the computer, but will write when I reach Cuisco.

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome adventure! Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally! This was much awaited! I miss you Alex, but I'm glad to hear you and doing well, having fun, and learning lots! Much Love!

    ReplyDelete